© 2024 WOSU Public Media
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Cigarette Cause of Massive South Side Fire

google maps
Property at 611 Marion Rd. before a massive 4-alarm fire.

Columbus fire investigators say a massive South Side fire earlier this month was started by a discarded cigarette butt.

Fire Captain. Jeff Martin, says investigators reached that conclusion after interviewing employees and reviewing video.

Employees told investigators that, in violation of company policy, they had been smoking on the property shortly before the fire was discovered.

The four-alarm blaze a  611 Marion Rd., took hours to control as paper, plastic and wooden pallets were engulfed in flames. The fire could be seen for miles.