© 2024 WOSU Public Media
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Miami Valley Tornadoes: How To Help And Get Help

Updated Monday, June 10 at 3:20pm

City of Dayton's Tornado Response Recource Page: https://www.daytonohio.gov/827/Tornado-Response

The Beavercreek Chamber of Commerce has launched a special website with tornado resources for residents and business owners: https://www.beavercreekchamber.org/tornado-responseMontgomery County, in partnership with ADAMHS and Public Health, will continue to operate a Family Assistance Center (FAC) the week of June 10, 2019. It is located at 1500 Shiloh Springs Road (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) with the following hours of operation:  Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.  Through an innovative model, the center offers access to one-on-one intervention services to assist with trauma and mental health needs for those individuals affected by the tornadoes. Trained specialists help to identify needs and make referrals to appropriate services.  


The Dayton Red Cross currently has shelters open in these areas:

  • Bethesda Temple 3701 Salem Ave., Dayton, Ohio 45406.


  • In response to the recent Tornado and severe storms that swept the Dayton area, Wesley Community Center located 3730 Delphos Ave. Dayton, OH 45417 will extend its pantry hours to 10:30 am-3:30pm until Friday June 14th. Families in need should come to pantry with identification to receive services. They will offer children’s clothing sizes 0 months to 6 in children. Along with baby products such as wipes, soap and much more. For more information contact (937) 263-3556 ext. 218.
  • The Red Cross is continuing, through the end of the week, bulk distribution and mobile feeding in Montgomery County in the areas of Northridge, Old North Dayton and Brookville.

Missing Loved Ones/Communication

Visit RedCross.org/SafeandWell or to search for a missing loved one. Residents impacted by the tornadoes can also visit the site to notify family and friends that they are safe.

Verizon and AT&T are offering unlimited calling, texting and data to prepaid and postpaid customers located in East Central Indiana and West Central Ohio - including the city of Dayton.

Blood Donation

The Dayton Community Blood Center is in need of Type O Positive blood donors. CBC is asking people who are type O to donate blood at the Dayton Community Blood Center, 349 South Main St. Donors can visit or call 1-800-388-GIVE to schedule the best time to donate. 


  • Montgomery County Volunteer Reception Center: Volunteers can register through the Volunteer Reception Center, and you will be matched to organizations with specific volunteer needs.

Location: Sinclair Community College, Bldg 20, 220 South Edwin C Moses (enter off 5th St)         

Hours of Operation: 7 days a week, 8 AM- 6 PM

Phone number: 937-512-5700

Please bring a picture ID.  All types of assistance are needed. Licensed professionals in skilled trades, medical, veterinary fields as well as individuals and companies that own and operate equipment (everything from chainsaws to heavy equipment) are very much needed and encouraged to volunteer their time.

  • Volunteer at The Foodbank: You can volunteer at The Foodbank Tuesday – Thursday from 7:30 am until 4 pm to help sort food. Volunteers do not need to call ahead to be able to help at The Foodbank’s warehouse today. The address to volunteer is 56 Armor Place, Dayton, OH 45417. Donate at: https://thefoodbankdayton.org/donate/
  • The American Red Cross welcomes members of the community who want to volunteer in the relief efforts to help those affected by Memorial Day tornadoes that struck the Miami Valley. Volunteers are needed to assist in a number of activities, such as distributing emergency relief supplies and delivering meals and water to neighborhoods affected by the disaster.  No training is necessary. Visit and click on the Disaster Volunteers Needed link to register. The link is in the middle of the page. Businesses and organizations that are interested in group volunteering opportunities should contact Red Cross Community Partnerships at (937) 222-6711. Donate $$ to Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS, , or text the word RedCROSS to 90999.
  • Donate to the Greater Dayton Disaster Relief Fund of The Dayton Foundation. Make a secure online credit card donation at daytonfoundation.org/disasterfund or mail a check to: The Dayton Foundation, 40 N. Main Street, Suite 500, Dayton 45423.
  • If you would like to volunteer your time to the recovery efforts please contact United Way’s Volunteer Connection at 937.225.3039. If you are in need of assistance call United Way’s helpline by simply dialing 211 or 937.225.3000. If you would like to contribute to United Way’s disaster relief fund to benefit victims of the tornadoes please visit www.liveuniteddayton.org/give and comment “daytontornado” or text “miamivalley” to 41444.
  • In Beavercreek, donate to Be Hope Church's relief fund for food, chainsaws and supplies or sign learn how you can volunteer at  http://behope.church/relief/
  • Insurance Toolkit

    The Ohio Department of Insurance provides a Severe Weather and Disaster Preparation and Recovery Toolkit with multiple resources/information banks:


    If you would like to report uninsured damage to your home or business in Montgomery County, call (937) 225-6217.

    Property Deeds and Documents:

    • Effective immediately, the Montgomery County Recorder’s Office is distributing FREE property deeds to homeowners who have been directly and substantially impacted by the tornadoes that ravaged various parts of Montgomery County (Trotwood, Clayton, Riverside, Harrison Township, Butler Township, Brookville, North Dayton and Vandalia).

    Property deeds can be obtained in person from 8:00AM-4:00PM at the Montgomery County Recorder’s Office, which is located on the 5th Floor of the County Administration Building at 451 W. Third Street Dayton, Ohio 45422, by contacting the Copy Center at 937-225-6381 or by visiting .

  • Due to widespread tornado damage in areas of Montgomery County Public Health will be offering free Birth Certificates.  In addition, Public Health will have information available about how to get a replacement Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security card. Birth certificates may be needed to help members of the public identify themselves to be eligible for relief services and to replace other identification documents. Learn more at:https://www.phdmc.org/
  • Legal Advice:

    Nonprofit legal aid firms Advocates for Basic Legal Equality, Inc., and Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Inc., and partner the Greater Dayton Volunteer Lawyers Project have representatives available at clinics at the Salvation Army’s Kroc Center Saturday, Monday and Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.

    Self-help information also is available on Facebook and through .

    Mental Health/Emotional Support:

    • Samaritan CrisisCare: (937) 224-4646
    • Optum Public Crisis Line: Our toll-free emotional support help line at (866) 342-6892 is free of charge and available to anyone, so you can share it with family and friends. Caring professionals will connect people to resources. It will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    • SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990 Nationwide hotline for individuals experiencing emotional distress for any disaster.  Or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746 www.samhsa.gov/find-help/disaster-distress-helpline

    Lost and Found Pets (from SICSA):

    Pet owners who live in the areas affected by the most recent storms and that are in need of help caring for their pets are encouraged to reach out to SICSA. Along with our adoption and humane education services, we have a SICSA Help Center that is set-up to provide information and potentially services to pet owners in crisis. SICSA serves the Greater Miami Valley and along with its network of partners is often able to make all the difference for pet families. To contact the SICSA Help Center, please email HelpCenter@SICSA.org or call 937.294.6505 ext. 23.

    In the aftermath of a storm, you might find a lost cat or dog. It is important to know that there may not be shelter space available immediately for the found pet and you may wish to offer or help find a temporary home for the animal until their owner is located or space opens up at one of the animal shelters in your community. Along with helping get the animal to safety there are a number of ways that you can help that starts with checking to see if the pet is wearing a license tag. You can call your county’s animal shelter and tell them the animal’s license number and they will be able to help you track down the owner. If they are not wearing a license, they may be microchipped. County Animal Shelters, veterinary offices and SICSA have the tools to help read those chips which also may be able to help you track down the owners. People are also encouraged to fill-in the SICSA Lost and Found Pet Report as well: http://www.sicsa.org/lost-and-found-pets.

    Small Businesses:

    The Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce has put together a listing of resources for business owners impacted by the storm. View it here: https://daytonchamber.org/disaster-relief-in-dayton-how-chamber-members-can-give-receive/

    If your business has been impacted or disrupted by the recent severe weather and tornadoes, BusinessFirst! will connect you with resources and assistance. General phone number: 937-225-4351. Link: www.resources4business.info/businessfirst/protectMyBusiness.html#panel6

    Cleanup/Removal of Storm Debris:

    • For emergency demolitions, a variance can be given by Regional Air Pollution Control Agency (RAPCA) for the asbestos inspection, the 10-working day wait, or the requirement to remove all regulated asbestos containing materials prior to the start of demolition activities of a facility. Emergency demolition means any demolition operation conducted under a written order issued by a state or local governmental agency because a facility is structurally unsound and in danger of collapse. For full details visit www.phdmc.org or contact the RAPCA Asbestos Coordinator with questions and for assistance at 937-225-4435.
    • Many communities are faced with the task of disposing of large quantities of debris from the recent storms. Ohio has strict rules prohibiting the open burning of any waste material, including storm debris, within city limits. Storm debris includes any and all materials such as trees, brush, building materials, and trash. Contact your local municipalities for information concerning disposal methods and available assistance, or contact RAPCA at 937-225-4435 to get guidance.
    • All yard waste material for Greene County Residents (trees, branches, leaves, shrubs, etc.) may be taken to the Greene County Environmental Services drop off center on Greene Way Blvd in Xenia. A list of other approved drop-off sites for this type of debris can be found at http://www.co.greene.oh.us/205/Links.

    Copyright 2021 WYSO. To see more, visit .

    Juliet Fromholt has been listening to WYSO for as long as she can remember. She began volunteering at the station while also serving as Program Director and General Manager at WWSU, the student station at her
    Evan Miller is a percussionist, lover of sound, and is probably buying too many cassette tapes online right now. Evan got his start in radio in 2012 at WWSU at Wright State University, where he was studying percussion performance. He followed through with both endeavors and eventually landed a lucrative dual career playing experimental music at home and abroad and volunteering at WYSO. Maintaining a connection to normal music, Evan also plays drums in bands, and fills in for Niki Dakota on Excursions. When not doing something music-related, Evan is most likely listening to podcasts or watching food videos at home with his cat.