© 2024 WOSU Public Media
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Natural gas leak at Newark tech school sends students to hospital, causes evacuation

A gas leak Friday morning at a Newark school sent some students to the hospital and caused the building to be evacuated.

Newark Division of Fire said on social media that they were called to Career & Technology Education Centers of Licking County, also known as C-TEC, just before 10 a.m. for a natural gas leak.

C-TEC in an announcement on its website said that some students were treated on site and others were taken to a hospital, but did not say how many students were affected. The building, located at 150 Price Road, was also evacuated for about an hour.

Newark Fire noted that there were no life-threatening injuries.

School officials said the gas leak was caused by a mechanical failure that happened when the school’s boiler turned on for the first time this year.

By late morning, classes had resumed and were expected to dismiss at the normal time of 2:25 p.m.

C-TEC has a high school career readiness program for juniors and seniors, as well as secondary and post-secondary technical programs. Offerings include courses on automotive technology, culinary arts, electrical trades and physical therapy.

Allie Vugrincic is a reporter for 89.7 NPR News. She comes to Columbus from her hometown of Warren, Ohio, where she was a reporter, features writer and photographer for four years at the Tribune Chronicle and The Vindicator newspapers.