© 2024 WOSU Public Media
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Marysville hotel cited for other issues after carbon monoxide leak in January

Michael Marais

The Marysville Hampton Inn has been cited for an expired building permit. This comes after Marysville Fire investigators and other area officials conducted a follow-up investigation on what caused the hotel pool area to fill with carbon monoxide on January 28 making several people sick.

Their investigation found a plastic bag blocking the fresh-air intake in the pool heater room may have caused the heater to malfunction and led to the gas build up. They also said the carbon monoxide detector in the room was not working.

The building permit violation does not appear to be related to the carbon monoxide issue although the report indicates the pool had been closed by the Union County Health Department in mid-December. Several people were in the pool area at the time of the leak. A reinspection is planned later this month.

The hotel at 16610 Square Drive was closed following the incident but reopened two days later.

WOSU called the Marysville Fire and Police Department, Union County building officials, and the hotel's owner but did not get a call back. We did speak with officials with the State Fire Marshal's office but they would not comment on the investigation.

Williams was a reporter for WOSU. Natasha is an Emmy Award-winning journalist and has more than 20 years of television news and radio experience.