WOSU 89.7 NPR News Again Named “Best Radio News Operation” By the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors Association
COLUMBUS, OHIO, MAY 13, 2021 –The Ohio Associated Press Media Editors Association once again recognized 89.7 NPR News, the all-day NPR news radio station of WOSU Public Media, as Ohio’s Best Radio News Operation, awarding it first place for General Excellence. WOSU’s Nick Evans was named Ohio’s Best Reporter.
Recognized as among the best in Ohio journalism, WOSU Public Media staff netted a total of six first place awards and three second place awards in the following categories:
- Ohio’s Best Radio News Operation – First place for General Excellence
- Best Reporter – First place for Nick Evans
- Best Anchor – Second place for Clare Roth
- Best Coverage of a Scheduled Event – First place for 2020 coverage of “Election Day and Night”
- Best Spot News Coverage – First place for Steve Brown and Adora Namigadde “Schools Closed”
- Best Continuing Coverage – First place for “Social Justice Protests”
- Best Continuing Coverage – Second place for “COVID Sweeps Through Prisons”
- Best Investigative Coverage – First place for Paige Pfleger “Columbus’ Police Chief Wrote the Book on Crowd Dispersal. Did Officers Follow It?”
- Best Investigative Coverage – Second place for Nick Evans “Defund the Police? Columbus Police Account for More Than a Third of City’s Budget”
“This professional recognition is a humbling honor that reflects the breadth and depth of our talented team which worked extremely hard under difficult circumstances throughout 2020,” said Mike Thompson, chief content director for news at WOSU Public Media. “We focus on being Central Ohio’s primary source for radio news. It’s a simple strategy: When important stuff happens, make sure it is on the radio. While covering big breaking news is stressful and messy, when you do it well, and if you do it every time it happens, listeners learn to rely on you.”
As stated in the bylaws of the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors Association, the main purposes of the Association are ‘to advance the profession of journalism’ and ‘to examine the news and the services of The Associated Press’.
89.7 FM NPR News is the only all-day NPR news radio station in Central Ohio and specializes in news and public affairs programming, including All Sides with Ann Fisher, Morning Edition, On Point, Here and Now, and All Things Considered. Live audio streaming of the station is available via smart speaker, at wosu.org, and through the free WOSU Public Media mobile app.
About WOSU Public Media
The mission of WOSU Public Media is to engage, inform and inspire our diverse community. An NPR and PBS affiliate licensed by The Ohio State University, WOSU is a noncommercial multimedia organization serving over two million citizens in Central Ohio through broadcast, digital, programming, events and education experiences. Learn more at wosu.org.
Senior Director of Marketing and Communications